Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Alma 31, 32, 33 & 34 - Student Presentations

Today the students made their presentations. It went well. Each one participated in one way or another. They closed by sharing their testimony.

What I've noticed is that when the students present these "Spiritual Mid-terms" (which they prepared yesterday in class), they do an excellent job getting one another to read the scripture blocks and to make application to their personal lives.

Several of the slogans they used for their posters or presentations were (some obtained from the lesson materials):

From the Alma 31 team:
"True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior." (Elder Boyd K. Packer, Ensign, Nov. 1986, 17)

From the Alma 32 team:
"Faith can be a gradual process." (student created phrase)

From the Alma 33 team:
"2 Nephi 32:9 - remember the First Vision came because of prayer." (student created phrase)

From the Alma 34 team:
"Procrastination is the thief of eternal life." (President Joseph Fielding Smith, Improvement Era, June 1969, 37)

I've been surprised how strong the spirit can be when the students themselves are teaching. The particular combination of students in this class is very strong. These kids are powerful and well-behaved. I recognize that this class may be unique. Some seminary teachers must grapple with students who have not yet found their footing on gospel soil. What an important calling and moment in life for them.

But what I've learned is that by having high expectations from the start, the kids tend to lift themselves to acting in a behaved way. When I have had to "call a kid on the carpet", the other kids seem to take notice and recognize that I hold this time as sacred with them and expect them to live to high standards.

I fully recognize that with another class, the things I have done may not have helped. Each class requires a unique approach. But all kids can and do respond to consistency. Therefore, I can only share my personal approach in hoping that it might help another teacher. Goodness and strength come from the Lord and he responds to prayers and pleas for help!

I don't take credit for anything I've done; the spirit has really pointed out important activities to help these kids. In fact, there's probably a huge "Seminary Idea Factory" up in heaven which has workers working overtime to help us as seminary teachers. :0)

I say that light-heartedly, but very much recognize that the Lord is good and kind and the blessings/ideas we receive as seminary teachers come from him. And I am just one tiny mortal on earth trying to do the same as all other seminary teachers - enrich the lives of the Lord's "stripling warriors."

One thing which I believe helped the direction of this class more than anything else were the private appointments I made individually with each seminary student in their own home before the school year began. For each appointment, I brought a survey.

They filled it out while we sat together and we discussed their pet peeves about seminary and their favorite things about seminary. We discussed what they hoped to receive from me as a seminary teacher and what they hoped to never see from me as a seminary teacher.

I believe this made all the difference in letting them know that I cared about their very personal thoughts and held them as important entities in my own heart. As the school year has progressed, I hope that they have felt me carry this through.

At the end of the year, I will have them fill out another survey, in addition to letting them give both themselves and me a "grade." Participation is a good thing.

***
SUMMARY:
Here is a modified list of questions from what I had previously given in the survey:
"YOUR THOUGHTS, PLEASE!"
NAME
PHONE #
(I would also add EMAIL, CELL PHONE, and IM information)
SCHOOL
GRADE
BIRTHDATE (for treats and a card on that day)
FAVORITE SCHOOL SUBJECT
CAREER GOAL(s)
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
AFTER SCHOOL JOB? (If so, HOURS WORKED PER WEEK)
FAVORITE SPARE TIME ACTIVITIES
THINGS YOU ARE GOOD AT
THINGS YOU WANT TO IMPROVE ON
FAVORITE SPORTS
FAVORITE MUSIC AND/OR ARTIST
FAVORITE COLOR
FAVORITE CANDY
FAVORITE BREAKFAST FOOD
FAVORITE FAMILY ACTIVITY
YEAR IN SEMINARY (circle) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
CURRENT WORRIES
FAVORITE BOOK OF MORMON SCRIPTURE
PET PEEVE ABOUT SEMINARY
FAVORITE THING ABOUT SEMINARY
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM SEMINARY THIS YEAR?
WHAT IS YOUR PERSONAL GOAL FOR SEMINARY?

What an opportunity to teach those whom the Lord has withheld until now, when the fiercest of battles are being fought for the souls of mankind.
__________
For free PDFs and to join the free newsletter list, simply visit here to join.

Until next week,

just another early-morning-seminary-teacher mom! :0)